Since 2001 I hold a joint appointment as a senior researcher at the National Research Council of Bologna. During the course of my career, I have developed a very strong knowledge in synthetic methodologies. I am particularly well adept in the areas of organometallic chemistry, asymmetric synthesis, catalysis, and semi-synthesis of natural products. I had the opportunity to explore many aspects of this discipline together with numerous different techniques, always interacting with people both as a student before and as a leader afterwards. As a result of my competence and my ability to work with others, I have published more than thirty scientific papers, 2 patents and other 2 are under submission. I have extensive experience in teaching and training people, in fact I have been supervisor of several PhD and Laurea thesis. I have a dedicated interest in research and welcome new challenges. I am actually leading a 6 to 8 group of people. During the course of my career I have been supervisor of a number of laurea and PhD thesis. Moreover, I have been in charge of some National and Regional financed projects in collaboration with many fine chemicals and pharmaceutical companies. Besides laboratory activities, I am my research activity includes grants writing for research funding, scientific papers and patents writing.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 03/03- 09-04 Department of Organic Chemistry at Suny University, Stony Brook, NY, USA Postdoctoral Research Associate (organometallic chemistry – asymmetric synthesis)
- 1999 – 2000 Department of Organic Chemistry at Ludwig Maximillians University of Munich, Germany Visiting researcher (organometallic chemistry; new methodologies)
- 02/98- 08-98 Department of Organic Chemistry at Fachbereich Chemie, Marburg, Germany Visiting scientist (organometallic chemistry – asymmetric synthesis)
- 1997 – 2001 Department of Orgainc Chemistry, University of Bologna, Bologna (Italy) Ph.D in Chemistry Sciences; Advisor: Professor Alfredo Ricci (Thesis Title: “Stereo-defined, hetero-substituted molecules, as building blocks for the synthesis of biologically active compounds, and ligands for asymmetric catalysis”)
- 1991-1997 Laurea (M.S.) in Industrial Chemistry Department of Orgainc Chemistry, University of Bologna, Bologna (Italy) (Thesis Title: “Synthesis and reactions of omochiral alpha- and beta-aminoacylsilanes"
LIST OF SELECTED PUBBLICATIONS
- VARCHI G, Guerrini A, Tesei A, Brigliadori G, et al. (2012) ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters Nonsteroidal Androgen Receptor Ligands: Versatile Syntheses and Biological Data. DOI: 10.1021/ml3000269
- Pistolozzi M, Varchi G, Degli Esposti A, Guerrini A, Sotgiu G, Ballestri M, Ferroni C, Venturini A, Bertucci C (2011). Camptothecin and Thiocamptothecin: the Role of Sulfur in Shifting the Hydrolysis Equilibrium towards the Closed Lactone Form.CHEMMEDCHEM, vol. 6, p. 1706-1714.
- VARCHI G, SAMORÌ C, BERETTA G.L, GUERRINI A, MICCO S, BASILI S, BIFULCO G, RICCIO R, MORO S, BOMBARDELLI E, ZUNINO F, FONTANA G (2010). Structure-Activity Relationship Study of 16a-Thiocamptothecins: an Integrated In Vitro and In Silico Approach. CHEMMEDCHEM, p. 2006-2015
- VARCHI G, SAMORI' C, GUERRINI A, FONTANA G, BOMBARDELLI E, TINELLI S, BERETTA G.L, BASILI S, MORO S, ZUNINO F, BATTAGLIA A (2009). Semisynthesis, Biological Activity, and Molecular Modeling Studies of C-Ring-Modified Camptothecins. JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY, doi: 10.1021/jm801153y
- VARCHI G, GUERRINI A, SAMORI' C, BATTAGLIA A (2008). Synthesis of 2,2,ß3-Diamino Acids by Double Stereodifferentiation Aldol Addition of Oxazolidinone Enolates to N-(tert-Butylsulfinyl) Imines. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, p. 3834-3844, doi: 10.1002/ejoc.200800356
- VARCHI G, SAMORI' C, GUERRINI A, ZUNINO F, BERETTA G.L, BOMBARDELI E, FEMONI C, FONTANA G, BATTAGLIA A (2008). Thiocamptothecin. JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY, vol. 51, p. 3040-3044, doi: 10.1021/jm8001982
- VARCHI G, SAMORI' C, GUERRINI A, BERETTA G.L, FONTANA G, BOMBARDELLI E, ZUNINO F, BERTUCCI C, FIORNI J, CARENINI N, BATTAGLIA A (2008). The Role of Polyamine Architecture on the Pharmacological Activity of Open Lactone Camptothecin-Polyamine Conjugates. BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY, doi:10.1021/bc800033r
- VARCHI G, GUERRINI A, SAMORI' C, RIZZO D, BATTAGLIA A (2007). The first synthesis of N,O-protected ß2,2,3,3-isoserines bearing two adjacent quaternary stereogenic centers and their corresponding ß-lactams. TETRAHEDRON LETTERS, p. 5081-5085, doi: 10.1016/j.tetlet.2007.05.087
- VARCHI G, GUERINI A, RIZZO D, SAMORI' C, BATTAGLIA A (2007). Synthesis of chiral b2,2,3-3-amino-2-hydroxyalkanoates and 3-alkyl-3-hydroxy-b-lactams by double asymmetric induction. TETRAHEDRON, vol. 63, p. 7949-7969, doi: 10.1016/j.tet.2007.05.069
- VARCHI G, BATTAGLIA A, GUERRINI A, BALDELLI E, FONTANA G, SAMORI' C, BOMBARDELLI E (2006). Synthesis of 7- and 10-spermine conjugates of paclitaxel and 10-deacetyl-paclitaxel as potential prodrugs. TETRAHEDRON LETTERS, vol. 47, p. 2667-2670, doi: 10.1016/j.tetlet.2006.02.108
- VARCHI G, OJIMA I (2006). Synthesis of heterocycles through hydrosilylation, silylformylation, silylcarbocyclization and cyclohydrocarbonylation reactions. CURRENT ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 10, p. 1341-1362.
- POLYENYLCYCLOPROPANECARBOXYLIC ESTERS WITH HIGH INSECTICIDAL ACTIVITY 2009 WO 2009037228.
- VARCHI G, GUERRINI A, TESEI A, BRIGLIDORI G (2010). Androgen Receptor Modulating compounds, preparations and uses thereof. WO 2010/092546
- VARCHI G, GUERRINI A, TESEI A, BRIGLIADORI G (2010). NON-STEROIDAL COMPOUNDS FOR ANDROGEN RECEPTOR MODULATION. WO 2010/1163